[mrtg] Re: Help with Solaris cpu and disk mointoring

Garth K. Williams gwilliams at quack.com
Fri Dec 15 04:05:09 MET 2000

Hi!  just so happens I have been doing alot of work in this arena.  I Think
I can help.  Here goes...

Connect to the Sun site, and download their Sun Management Center v 2.1
(version 3.0 in January 2001) for FREE!

Check THIS out baby!!

Main Page:
http://www.sun.com/sunmanagementcenter/;$sessionid$FUVOOCIAAEHGNAMTA1FU4GQ

Download Page:
http://www.sun.com/software/sunmanagementcenter/download/index.html;$session
id$OKABFJQAABEK5AMTA1LU3NQ

BTW, it really IS free.  If you use the SMC to manage multiple systems, then
you gotta pay $$!  If you install the SMC on individual systems, and then
manage them using another NMS, it costs nothing!  I just downloaded it so I
could get REAL SUN STATISTICS THAT ARE TIED TO THE HARDWARE, rather than
OS-based support like UCD.

Anyway, you install it on your Sun platform. You can then enable the SNMP
support for Sun Management Center, and can then access DETAILED HARDWARE
INFORMATION (really!) using a standard SNMP NMS.

You may find (as I did) that you will need an SNMPv2 compliant NMS in order
to compile all the Sun MIBS.

Also, they also provide a Win32 Java-based console manager.  Check out the
download page!

As far as I am concerned, this beats the H_LL out of the UCD SNMP, although
it is more difficult to enable!

I hope this helps some of you Sun-Nuts (sounds like a snack food, don't it?)
out there!

Garth
Garth K. Williams, MCSE, MCP+I, CNA
Williams Technology Consulting Services
Email: garth.williams at wtcs.org
Web: http://www.wtcs.org

Home of the "SNMP for the Public Community" Web Site
Support site for SNMP, Windows 95/98/NT/2000,
NetWare, MRTG and Network Management
Check out SNMP4NT, an enhanced Windows NT
Performance Monitor MIB (over 35 stats)!!