[mrtg] Newbie Compile Problem

Richard Cross rcross at merced.cc.ca.us
Wed Dec 20 08:47:22 MET 2000

I'm now bald and frustrated. I'd appreciate any help on this compile
problem.. I really have no idea what I'm doing.

OS: Linux Mandrake 6.5
I've tried to install the recent GCC with no luck also (error follows):

[root at grumpy gcc-2.95.2]# ./configure i686-linux
Created "Makefile" in /root/mrtgstuff/gcc-2.95.2 using "mt-frag"
ld: cannot open crti.o: No such file or directory
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

But whatever I need I have no clue... the following problem setting up MRTG
is what I want to accomplish.
(the system is a Pentium Pro if it matters)

[root at grumpy pgcc-2.91.66]# /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.6/configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
creat
e executables.

TIA
Richard Cross