[mrtg] Help:monitoring var

manjunath ramaiah manjunath.ramaiah at wipro.com
Thu Dec 21 05:28:30 MET 2000

Hi ,

I am new to mrtg .Please help me  in the following problem .
I need to monitor the no.of bytes received by an interface . The
interface is controlled by a snmp agent . There is a variable in the
enterprise mib
which gives the no of bytes received by the interface .
I want to graph only this varaible . So i was givinig  only this
variable oid
 like OID_1:public at router  . But i came to know that it needs 2
vars(why?)
so i need to give OID_1&OID_2:public at router .
This if i am correct will issue 2 consecutive snmp gets for the same
variable
and then take average ( which is same as OID's value )  and then plot
the
var.   This  i am not able to do as the agent returns resource un
availabe error
 if snmp get is made consecutively . It needs some delay between to get
requests.

So is there any way i can specify only oid1 and get  the value for
graphing .
like OID_1:public at router.Also is my undrestanding correct .?

Thanks  in advance ,
Manjunath