[mrtg] Re: MRTG optimization and maximal 5 minute polls

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Mon Feb 7 13:17:06 MET 2000

Lisa,
	You definetly need multiple configs.  In your case you need
at least 1 per switch--even that's a lot for one config to do.  Maybe
you could pull some of the other common items out of those configs to
make it a little smaller.  If you monitor the uplink ports, pull them
out to a seperate file.  If you can think of anything else, pull them
out too.  Maybe split the 25-50 ports down the middle and make two
seperate files.  Then in your crontab try to stagger the seperate
instances of MRTG if you can.  Make the config monitoring the first
half of the switch run every 5 minutes starting at 00:00, and the 2nd
half start at 00:01.  Pick a few of the others and do the same.
Spread it out over the 5 minute interval.  man 5 crontab for more
details.

Good luck!
   Justin

--
Justin Shore
K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>