[mrtg] Re: MRTG hardware specs

Brad Johns brad.johns at tenauto.com
Mon Feb 14 15:45:05 MET 2000

The big hog that you are going to need resources for is the mrtg-ping-probe. It's a big hog of cpu and memory. I currently have 2 servers running mrtg, one for each of 2 interenal division. Each one runs interface stats on about 70-80 routers and switches, and also runs mrtg-ping-probe out to all the routers. The servers are compaq proliant 3000, 256mb memory, 300mhz proc. Needless to say these boxes are very busy. Load averages are about 15 all the way accross(1 minute, 5 minute, and 15 minute intervals) I'm trying to get hold of secondary processors to speed things up, because I'm afraid to add anything else to them(it's ugly when mrtg gives you out of memeory erros, and then proceeds to crash)

Hope this helps.
Brad at tenneco.net