[mrtg] linux snmp -- off topic

Joey Officer jofficer at insidehouston.org
Sat Feb 19 13:35:02 MET 2000

First off, any of you that are trying to install snmpd under a linux system
I encourage to keep trying.  I have been using Linux for about 3yrs now and
it only gets easier.  Secondly, the snmpd packages have installation
instructions that start from scratch for the specific purpose of explaining
the installation to the most basic of people, that was not an insult.

If you are using redhat, and if you are a newbie, I would recommend trying
to compile everything from scratch.  It gets you back into the problem
solving pysche.  I currently am running two snmpd packages on a linux
PowerPC.  Both CMU and UCD are working just fine, and it did not take a
great deal of technical know-how.  READ THE DOCS!

Make sure the service starts for SNMPd, if its not starting automatically,
then start it your self, I believe for UCD you just type
<path-to-snmpd-bin>/snmpd -f  and press enter.  Thats it, you should
probably configure the .conf file ahead of time to input contact information
and a few other minor details before hand, but its not required.  At this
point I would recommend do a series of walks, get, etc.. manually and make
sure that you are getting the data required.  If you need some specific
instructions let me know and I'll be happy to help you.

Lastly, I don't know how long some of the poeple using linux have been using
it, but I DO know that with a little reading everyone can understand it.
The instructions and the why's, how-to's and everything you need is included
so that you should rarely have to seek outside help.  And for future
reference, when in doubt READ!  Then seek outside help, from all available
resources.

I'll be available randomly, but usually helpful to some extent.  Again, I
encourage you to continue to use Linux.  It needs as many followers as
possible, and I for one am willing to help as much as I can to get you
going.

Sorry for being somewhat long-winded and WAY off topic, but I just wanted to
share a bit.

Joey Officer
Systems Administrator
Quality Publishing, Inc.