[mrtg] Re: mrtg and snmp in linux +

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Sat Feb 19 20:21:56 MET 2000

At 8:09 PM +0800 2/19/00, Bear wrote:
>hi all
>  we also have a problem with snmp for linux , it stops working
>as soon as you try to access ie snmpwalk or getit  from another machine
>this problem righted itself ???, after a few weeks ( wasnt really a
>critical machine and ran for 2 weeks !) but it has now stopped ! again ,
>restarting then stoping then starting snmp gets it going until the next
>access which times out with no response , im no guru but this is
>frustrating to say the least
>cant remember the error msg ( was atleast 3 hours ago ) very nondiscript error
>
>oh well play with it again on monday i supose
>
>Bear

I can say that I too had this problem on a LinuxPPC machine with UCD
3.6.1.  Only for me it took over a month before it stopped
repsonding.  I had used the stock rpms up until that point and
decided to hell with it.  I downloaded the latest source, configured,
compiled, and installed and its been working great ever since!  In
fact I'm getting ready to do the same for UCD 4.1.1 which came out a
week or so ago.  I've done the same now for most every install I've
done.  Try it.  Its not that hard.  Just read the docs before you
start (oh, and keep a copy of your old conf just in case :-) ).

HTH
Justin

--
Justin Shore
K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>