[mrtg] Re: Reboot problems

Neil Calvert ncalvert at cabletron.com
Mon Feb 28 18:27:40 MET 2000

You're right, counters get reset when the box is rebooted.

It depends what you're after - total number of octets/packets that have
passed through an interface, or the rate of passing. Total number of
packets passed isn't often useful unless you're actually billing someone
on that basis rather than the bandwidth they're using.

To answer simply : MRTG graphs the rate rather than the total number -
you will see a dropped rate for a couple polls then it should settle
down. That's been my experience.

Neil