[mrtg] Re: 'kilo' option?

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Tue Feb 29 09:39:44 MET 2000

At 9:15 AM +0100 2/29/00, alex at ergens.op.Het.Net wrote:
>Justin Shore wrote:
>  >
>  > Can someone tell me when I should use the 'kilo' option?  For
>
>What is it you don't understand in:
>
>    Use this option to change the multiplier value for building prefixes.
>    Defaultvalue is 1000. This tag is for the special case that 1kB =
>    1024B, 1MB = 1024kB and so far.
>
>copied straight from the manual.
>
>  > example, I'm graphing my sendmail transfer stats.  The value reported
>  > to MRTG is in kilobytes.  In a related question, how do I make MRTG
>  > *not* try to convert from bytes to kilobytes when the value reaches
>  > XYZ?  Its hard to explain.
>
>And in that same manual, just under "kilo", this is explained.
>
>Have you ever read the manual?

Yep.  Many a time.  Its one of the windows that I never close in my
browser.  It just doesn't quite make sense to me.  The recent message
on the mailing list (called FAQ) and my reply to it go over this a
bit.  Without an example of using something, its rather difficult for
some people to see a use for that thing.  In this case I'm that
person.  I understand what it should do but I don't know if/when it
should be used.

Justin

--
Justin Shore
K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>

*Internet2 Users*
<ftp://quest.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>