[mrtg] Re: Combining Graphs

Denis Saveliev Denis.Saveliev at theplanet.net
Fri Jan 14 12:41:07 MET 2000

> 	Don't know if this is what your looking for or not, but we have (3)
asymmetric
> serial lines on a Cisco that are load shared.  We combine the ifOutOctets
and the ifInOctets
> values for the three into one graph like so (for the input side)

> Target[name]: ifInOctets.8&ifInOctets.8:community at router +
> 	         ifInOctets.11&ifInOctets.11:community at router +
> 	         ifInOctets.12&ifInOctets.12:community at router +
> MaxBytes[name]:  <size of three lines combined>

This works ok if you have a few routers.... But in our network we have 450+
Cisco as5300's. Well, I guess we probably can put them all into one Target[]
string and it would probably work (don't know if there's a string length
limit in mrtg) but:

1. Since we need to monitor the number of users online on every 5300 as well
total number of users mrtg have to query every router twice - once to get
number of users for the stats for the router and once to get a summary
accross the dial pool leading to double load on the machine running mrtg and
double traffic across the network.

2. Mentioned before is inconvinient but we could live with it. What more
important is that if any of modem racks is down for maintenance it affects
the whole stats since mrtg cannot get the responce for the snmp query and
therefore failes to calculate ... + ... + ... + ... equasion which results
the flat summary graph!!! As modems can be down for days this is totally
unacceptable (well, I guess we can keep editing mtrg configs but if modem
goes down in the midnight we still got flat graph till next morning).

I believe it would be really useful if there was a way in mrtg to get the
summary stats across the number of different routers. Something like:

Target[name1]: string:community at router1
Group[name1]: DialPool1

Target[name2]: string:community at router2
Group[name2]: DialPool1

Target[groupname]: Group:DialPool1

Regards,
Denis