[mrtg] Cisco backplane usage?

Hugh Messenger hugh at HiWAAY.net
Tue Jan 25 22:18:27 MET 2000

Thanks for all the help with my recent Cisco 3640 CPU/memory usage
question - I'm now happily graphing route processor and core CPU memory
usage, and overall CPU usage.  In fact, today MRTG noticed a problem on
the box, where CPU load suddenly shot up from ~30% to ~90%.

Here's a more generic questioon about the same box ...

The 3640 in question is our main core router - we are an ISP - and we know
that we are going to need to step up to a 7200 fairly soon.  We are adding
a fourth T1 to our backbone BGP collection, and several more frame
connections to our dial-up cloud soon.

Of course, a suitably endowed 7200 is a chunk of change, and I don't want
to spend the money until I have to - but I don't want to leave it too
long, as my experience says that routers tend to suddenly hit a brick
wall, rather than gradually degrading.

I'm basically looking for any suggestions on the best OID's to monitor to
give me a feel for when our 3640 is approaching that point.  For instance,
on our USR RAS boxes, we find that backplane utilization is a good
indicator of overall health.  But I can't find such an OID for the
Cisco's.

There is also a heap of Cisco OID's I simply don't understand, and the
documentation is almost non-existant.

So - do any Cisco-heads out there have a standard set of OID's they use
for this purpose?

   -- hugh