[mrtg] Cisco ATM LEC's and ifDescr changes

Mark T. Ganzer ganzer at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Jan 26 06:46:05 MET 2000

I'm setting up a new MRTG 2.8.11 installation to monitor some Cisco
routers running LANE interfaces.  Because of problems with ifDescr
changing when the LEC id changes, I created new configs using
cfgmaker_ip in order to use IP address targets instead of the default
interface indices. Yet even with the IP address targets, I still get
errors due to the ifDescr changing whenever the LEC ID changes on and
LANE subinterface. Here is what the error looks like (names, addresses,
and communities changed of course):
Warning: There is something wrong with Target
'/192.168.1.2:xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxx.fu.bar'

* Its ifDescr used to be 'LEC.6.21761'
* Now it is 'LEC.6.21762'

I will not update this graph for the moment. Maybe your Router has
changed the port to interface mapping. This can happen when new
Interfaces are added to the router or when it is rebooted.

I was under the impression that using IP address targets would eliminate
this problem.  Has anyone else using MRTG with Cisco ATM LANE interfaces
managed to come up with a solution to this problem? We have enough LANE
sub-interfaces running on various routers that keeping MRTG up to date
is almost a daily chore.  Any ideas?

-Mark Ganzer
ganzer at spawar.navy.mil

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature