[mrtg] Re: integrating vendor mibs

Ibrahim Garbioglu igarbiog at ccac.edu
Fri Jul 7 22:41:34 MEST 2000

Bruce,
I'm familiar with SNMP only in theory so, please bear with me ... Basically, I want to monitor the DS1 link on our Fore Systems' ATM switch. I have downloaded the vendor's MIB files (text files) and I don't really know what to do with them... Do I need to compile these MIBs in order to use with MRTG? What do you mean by "decoding" ?  Could you explain further...?

Also, I'm looking a good SNMP book, could you or anybody recommend a good practical book on SNMP ? I have William Stallings'  book ("SNMP, SNMPv2 and RMON" ) but doesn't help to much...
thanks
Ibrahim

>>> "MacMillan, Bruce" <Bruce.MacMillan at cibc.ca> 07/07/00 10:06AM >>>
I integrated my Vendor MIBS just by decoding them to get the OIDs.  It was
not necessary for MRTG to actually be able to do it's own MIB translation as
you are just polling based on MIB or OID.

At least that's been my experience.  So as long as you have a MIB browser
and can translate back and forth between MIB->OID then you should be fine to
use MRTG to poll.

At least that's what we do here!

Thanks,
Bruce