[mrtg] Re: Wrong side of the router / incoming and outgoing

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at TO.GD-ES.COM
Tue Jul 11 16:19:06 MEST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Dana wrote:

> I have read the manual and I understand that by appling a - to the target
> MRTG will swap the incoming and outgoing data to reflect being on "the
> wrong side of the port".  I am rather new to router monitoring and am
> suffering from some lack of basic knowlege and potential confusion.
>
> When graphing I always think off outgoing on the Ethernet port as passing
> onto the router and incoming as passing from the router to the local
> network.  On a serial link I always think of outgoing as going from the
> router to the link and incoming as going from the link to the router.
>
> for starters is this correct?

It's irrelevant.  All hubs, routers, switches, etc. report interface data
from the perspective of the system.  "In" is data moving from the "wire" to
the system.  "Out" is data moving from the system to the "wire".

> Now, when working with MRTG i monitor some local routers and some on the
> other end of a serial link.  When I target a local router i leave the
> target with out the "-".  When monitoring the remote routers i also leave
> it without the "-".  My reasoning being that i desire my graphs to show
> incoming and outgoing as i have described above.  Is this correct?

I've found that for users to understand the generated graphs, you need to
define a perspective and then use the "-" to adjust each interface.

For my group of users, "out" means data moving toward the Internet and
"in" is data from the Internet.  As a result, I always use the "-" on the
interface that is closest to the user's desktop.

Merton Campbell Crockett