[mrtg] Re: newbie questions

Henry Steinhauer h1steinh at hewitt.com
Fri Jul 14 07:09:37 MEST 2000

Mike -  Take this week-end's time and read any of the read-me files or anything
that looks like a read-me file.

This will give you a good start on what can be done with MRTG.

Some of the things you are asking for is non-trival since the standard MIB does
not have alias IP address information within the tree.
But - someone else on this list might have already solved it and put it into the
Contrib file.  You can find that out by reading the Read-me files.

Once you have taken the time, then your questions will make more sense.  At the
moment, it sounds like - " Tell me all I can do with this"

That is too broad to answer simply.

If your WEB server is connected to a switch, look at the switch and see what you
can see.

Get a copy of the Getif program and browse the MIBs.

Since your Web server probably has some other MIBS on it, find out what type of
Server it is (IIS, Apache , etc) and do some research on what MIBS it already
has.  You can use Getif to browse those MIBS and also plot the information for a
short period of time to see it if makes sense to use it with MRTG.

In about a week - we expect that you will have answered some of your own
questions and can also contribute what you have learned to the rest of the list.

Happy Hunting.

Henry Steinhauer - h1steinh at hewitt.com