[mrtg] To Ascend/Lucent Users - Info on OIDs for Modems Sessions and suc h things.

"Helmert, Jörg" Joerg.Helmert at Computer-Partner.DE
Tue Jul 18 17:33:09 MEST 2000

Hi,

find below some previous posts on Ascend (should fit for some
Lucent devices as they bought Ascend...).

You should search the list for Ascend to get more Info...
(there are some problems which make Ascends more difficult
than other routers...)

I recommend downloading Ascend-MIB-definitions from ftp.ascend.com
and use snmp-browsers to get oids for info you like.

than you can use mrtg to poll these oids.

Some usefull OIDs: (not all useable for mrtg since non integer...)
.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ascend.callStatusGroup.
callActiveTable.callActiveEntry.callActiveIfIndex
.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.16.1.11
The interface index, ranging from 1 to the number of
          interfaces specified in the MIB-II variable ifNumber.
          The interface identified by a particular value of
          this index is the same interface as identified by the
          same value if ifIndex.

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10
The total number of octets received on the
 interface, including framing characters.

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16
The total number of octets transmitted out of the
 interface, including framing characters.

.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ascend.callStatusGroup.
callActiveTable.callActiveEntry.callActiveSessionIndex
.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.16.1.12
The index of the associated session entry. Value
          ranges from 1 to 'ssnActiveMaximumSessions'.

.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ascend.sessionStatusGroup.
sessionStatusTable.sessionStatusEntry.ssnStatusUserName
.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.12.2.1.3
The name of the remote user. The null string is
          returned if entry is invalid.

.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.ascend.callStatusGroup.
callActiveTable.callActiveEntry.callActiveXmitRate
.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.11.16.1.14
The transmit rate for ISDN calls or the baud rate
          for modem calls.

 Joerg Helmert

Hi Josh,

problem might be, that the OIDs aren't checked all at the same time.
They're checked one after the other.

Regarding your high numbers of ports in use:
Do your values change fast?
If yes, the following would be possibel:

first snmp-get: 30 channels active on router #1
second snmp-get: 39 channels available on router #1
sum of channels: 69 ==> ok

third snmp-get: 20 channels active on router #2
in between here: 1 more channel changes to active state
on router #2 so  now 21 channels active
fourth snmp-get: 48 channels available on router #2
sum of channels: 68 ==> not ok, one channel missing

fifth snmp-get: and so on.

Because between third and fourth snmpget the number of active channels
changes, the sum of active and available channels for this router
are not equal to the number of built in channels!

What I do is collecting the number of used channels. I have set
maxbytes to the number of built in channels.
So below the gifs (or pngs) percent values are shown.
If you set option unscaled, your graph would be scaled
using maxbytes (look in manual for details,
I'm in danger of writing in bad english for this ;-])

But because you set maxbytes this value would be correct.

Another option:

use:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.529.4.24 wanSwitchedChannels
which is the total number of lines and substract the number of
current active calls. But I don't have the syntax for your Target
definition,
since I don't use maths on targets up to now ;-)

Maybe somebody of the list could comment, if My reason for your
error in the sum of available and used channels is wrong.
I'm sure somebody will be able to help with following maths in your target
if you want to use it:

Target[targetname]
1.3.6.1.4.1.529.10.5.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.529.4.24.0-1.3.6.1.4.1.529.10.5.0:communi
ty at ascend

maybe this is almost correct?

bye,

 Joerg Helmert