[mrtg] External program problem

Aaron Dewell acd at woods.net
Sun Jul 23 03:26:29 MEST 2000

Hi all,

I've written a program to be called from MRTG, and as far as I can tell,
this is the output it is supposed to produce:

inbytes
outbytes
uptime
hostname

i.e. four lines of text, each ended with a newline.  I can't find any
examples that do it quite this way, they mostly create their own HTML
or log files, and that's more complexity that needed in this situation.

The result I'm going for is to monitor a RAS and graph the number of
lines currently in use, like pm3lines did (does?), except this is for a
Cisco AS5300.  Anyway, I've got the program to obtain all that data done,
the only problem is how to give it to MRTG for graphing.

Now, that output listed above works to the extent of giving it the current,
but the rest of the logfile is and stays zeros.  So I'm not getting any
history out of it.  After a few days of running, this is what the log file
looks like:

964315200 185 0
964315200 0 0 0 0
964314901 0 0 0 0
964314900 0 0 0 0
964314600 0 0 0 0
964314300 0 0 0 0

Any ideas as to what  might be going on here?

Thanks,

Aaron