[mrtg] Re: Plotting ICMP

Philip J. Koenig pjklist at ekahuna.com
Sun Jul 23 04:02:38 MEST 2000

Hi Alex, thanks for the prompt reply!  See below..

On 23 Jul 2000, at 3:22, Alex van den Bogaerdt boldly uttered:

> Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>
> > LoadMIBs: /usr/share/snmp/mibs/livingston.mib
> > # This seems to make no difference either way
>
> That's probably because icmp is not defined in this mib file.  It will
> be defined in mib2 which is included by default.

Yep, doesn't seem to matter much one way or another.  FWIW, icmp IS
defined in that file, it appears to include all of the standard MIB,
and then its extensions at the end.

> Check the first line of the log file (1.2.3.4-icmp.log) to see if that
> changes.  If it doesn't, data collection fails.  If it does change, there
> is something wrong in your configuration file.  Failure to collect the
> data can happen under several circumstances as described further on (one
> other reason, connectivity problems, you have already ruled out).

It changes, but the values are all "0".

 > > Target[1.2.3.4-icmp]: icmp.icmpInMsgs.0&icmp.icmpInEchos.0:community at 1.2.3.4
>
> Perhaps you need to specify the full OIDs but I think this isn't necessary
> anymore with recent versions of the SNMP package used by MRTG.

I can try that.. was trying to avoid it though. :-)

 > > Options[1.2.3.4-icmp]: nopercent, perminute, gauge
>
> I may be wrong on this but I think "perminute" and "gauge" should not
> be combined.  If you want to display the value of the counter, you
> should use "gauge".  If you want to display the increase of the counter
> (the delta) you should NOT use "gauge".  The "perminute" option is used
> to change the default behaviour from "increase per second" into per
> minute and is therefore incompatible with "gauge".

That sounds right.  I had originally setup this one to be a per-
minute thing but I decided later to make it a gauge.  I just changed
it, but it didn't help.  :-(

 > > MaxBytes[1.2.3.4-icmp]: 192000
>
> Wouldn't this discard any value > 192000?

Probably, but I couldn't find anything in the documentation that said
you could remove that value.  The documentation appears to be very
specific to the default "bytes/sec" type of usage.

In any case, the values on the queried unit aren't anywhere that
value right now. (more like 800)

If you have any more ideas, I'm all ears...

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist at ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium