[mrtg] No diffs being caculated.

Jeff Warnica jwarnica at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 30 00:35:55 MEST 2000

Hi all..

I have some scripts set up to monitor mail traffic on a remote machine
(messages in and out - working fine), and when mrtg gets the information, it
dosent caculate out the deltas for the log file, I get something that looks
like this:

964909794 43231 41733
964909794 0 0 0 0
964909727 0 0 0 0
964909500 0 0 0 0

When I run with the gauge option, it works (broken, but works) with graphs
continously growing. My guess (from the top of a log of a switch port:)

964909922 3796266963 3159554026
964909922 52482 24580 52482 24580
964909623 43273 20338 43273 20338
964909500 45925 19952 49795 20338

is that since the deltas are so small (less than a hundred in 5 minutes),
mrtg is counting them as 0. The config file for this target is as follows:

WorkDir: /var/csuite/info/mrtg/
WriteExpires: Yes
PageTop[^]:<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"
PageTop[^]: <H1> Halifax Mail Traffic</H1>
YLegend[^]: in / out
ShortLegend[^]:
Options[^]: nopercent, integer
Legend1[^]: In
Legend2[^]: Out
Legend3[^]: Messages in (5 Minute Average)
Legend4[^]: Messages Out (5 Minute Average)
LegendI[^]: &nbsp;msg:
LegendO[^]: &nbsp;msg:
#WithPeak[^]: ymwd
Target[halifax.mail]: `mrtg-misc-probe halifax smtp-stats`
Title[halifax.mail]: 'halifax' mail traffic
MaxBytes1[halifax.mail]: 100000
MaxBytes2[halifax.mail]: 100000

Anyone have any ideas of the problem?
--
/. in all its glory:
Since CPUs are getting faster at an exponential rate, the best way