[mrtg] Re: RRDTool

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Mon Jul 31 11:29:16 MEST 2000

In article <7178DE9E7D46D311ACD90008C740AB13123F50 at zbc102>,
	BrianG at zebec.net (Thomas Brian Granier) writes:

> I then checked my definition for the config file and it was using the
> appropriate \\server\share name\file name format. However it wasn't
> working. My next step was to break the file name and the directory
> into two seperate with the cfgfile pointing at file name and the cfg
> file directory pointing at \\server\share name. This didn't work. Next
> I mapped a drive to the share and access it in the cfgfile
> configuration by putting drive://file name and this worked fine.

I think I found the problem with using \ as path separator. But you
found a workaround anyway.

> Now for where I am stuck. When I pull up the page it appears I am
> getting all the text and formatting on all of the pages I am supposed to
> be getting, but none of my graphics are showing up at all. I've tried
> looking through the documentation to find further information on where
> to troubleshoot it. I did notice something with regards to needing a
> temporary folder and the comment seemed to suggest that it is unknown if
> the tmp variable would work in NT. At any rate, I played around with the
> tmp directory stuff for a little while but didn't get very far.

First: Do you get any error messages? An error graphs? Or a message from
the web server?

There is a DEBUG variable at the top of the cgi (around line 22). Set it
to one and you should get more verbose error messages if the graph
display fails. You need the GD.pm perl module for this to work.

If you dont't get that far:

You can add a switch to the configuration to enable a rrdtool-call-log:

   UseRRDTool: rrdtoollog: /where/to/log/rrdtoolcalls

The rrdtool calls contain a file name for the graph file. You might want
to check this path (writable?).

Next: You can call 14all.cgi directly, e.g.

    D> perl 14all.cgi cfg=config.cfg target=router1 png=daily > f.png

Strip the first 2 lines from f.png (the HTTP header) and look at the
graph.

Rainer