[mrtg] Re: Leased Line Bandwidth Capacity

Michael Votaw mvotaw at telepath.com
Mon Jun 12 17:46:51 MEST 2000

The communications lines you reference do indeed work at full duplex.  So,
if you have a T1, you get 1.536 Mb/sec in both directions simultaneously
(about 3Mb/sec total).  The same goes for E1 and other point to point
circuits through the PSTN.

An exception to this is ASDL and maybe other technologies I don't know
about.  The "A" stands for asymmetrical and is usually setup with a higher
data rate for incoming customer connections and a smaller transmission rate
for outgoing data.

Frame relay reports may need to account for the bursts allowed over your CIR
just so you get good utilization numbers.

MRTG in its default state is already configured for reporting on synchronous
full-duplex ports (just about every kind of port with in and out octets).
So, unless you just don't like what it's showing you, I wouldn't change what
it's doing if I were you.

Your 'true' utilization is indeed 2 graphs composed of in-octets AND another
graph of out-octets.  By combining the two, you lose insight into the
behavior of your traffic patterns.

My 2 cents worth.