[mrtg] IP Address brand router querying

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Thu Jun 15 14:24:21 MEST 2000

Thanks everyone for the suggestions about my previous question about 'No hostname defined..."  It has nothing to do with the DNS entries, so I'm still looking for an answer.  There are some that show up with "IP: ()"  No idea what that is, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out.  Anyway, on to my next question.

I have an IP address list of 600 routers I monitor between two mrtg systems.  Is there any way to use mrtg to figure out what the brand of
each router for which I have an address is?  I know I have a mix of Bay Networks, IBM, Cisco, 3Com, and many others.  I would like to run a script that queries the router at ip address x and writes the brand and possibly model into a text file.  Is there any utility out there to do this?  Help!  I don't want to have to telnet into each router just to figure out what it is!

Thanks,

Paul Williamson
Manager of EMS
M&T Bank Corporation