[mrtg] Re: RE Cisco 7206 router

Mark T. Ganzer ganzer at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Jun 21 18:08:44 MEST 2000

What version of IOS are you running? My experience is as follows:

- IOS < 11.3 - no per-vc stats available for ATM sub-interfaces

- IOS 11.3 - 12.0  - PVC subinterface stats available from the Cisco aal5 MIB,
but config has to be manually generated because there is no SNMP interface index
for the ATM sub-interfaces.

- IOS 12.0S and 12.0T - cfgmaker find SNMP interface indexes for ATM
subinterfaces using PVC's. In fact, it finds TWO interface indexes for each
sub-interface - one for ATM layer stats, and one for AAL5-layer stats. Problem
is that only AAL5-layer stats are kept by the router, resulting in errors from
the MRTG script until the invalid interfaces are removed from the config script.

And if you also happen to turn on Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) in 12.0S or T,
you will also get an SNMP interface index number for the CEF interface, and for
which stats are not being kept (again resulting in errors when MRTG runs). This
problem could be fixed if cfgmaker checked to see if traffic data was actually
available for a particular interface before putting it into the config file. I
haven't had the time to dig into it and actually do it yet, however.

- Mark T Ganzer            ganzer at spawar.navy.mil
Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center, San Diego
Ph: 619.553.1186   FAX: 619.553.4385    Mobile: 619.203.1790

Pauline Knox wrote:

> In addtion to my last message.  I should add the following:
>
> When I run mrtg I get an error message. Part of which states
>
> SnmpGet Problem   for CiscoLocifDescr.10 on public at xxxxxxxxx
>
> Is this suggesting SNMP is not configured?  If that is the case why do I get
> back results on the fast ethernet port and another ATM port?
>
> 'm attempting to get traffic stats for a Cisco 7206 Router with several ATM
> PVC's.  I run the usual perl command with the routers IP address but My
> resulting .cfg file does not contain the info regarding each PVC. Has anyone
> succeeded in doing this.  I am running MRTG on an NT platform
>
> --

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
-- Size: 2k (2438 bytes)