[mrtg] Re: Live vs Gold Pipes

Calvert, Neil ncalvert at cabletron.com
Thu Jun 22 17:37:14 MEST 2000

might as well show off some peripheral knowledge, eh?

I'm ASSUMING here you're talking about Cabletron Spectrum. If you're not,
then ignore me.

1)	Live pipes are a means of polling the two ports that make up a link.
They essentially instruct an inference handler to keep track of this link by
monitoring the ifoperstatus and ifadminstatus of the ports.
2)	If you have a live pipe and a link goes down, then you should
receive an additional alarm. Also, the red line between devices is quite
obvious to an operator that something has occured. If live pipes are not
enabled, the link will remain gold (resolved).
3 & 4)	The 'need' to have live pipes is really dependent on your network.
They do create additional polling traffic and additional work for the
server. As for backplane links, you can model this as a live link, but it
would probably be overkill. If you have a problem with backplane traffic it
would probably be a full hardware failure in which case the router/switch
blade itself should be alarming.

You do get fault isolation w/out live pipes. Fault isolation is accomplished
by having fully resolved (port to port) links. This gives Spectrum the
intelligence needed to say 'Ok, this port went down, I know this WAN network
is off this port, so I'll make that Grey, since it's now unreachable'. Live
pipes just give you more alarms, and also more visual cues that something is
awry.

Hope this helps.

Neil