[mrtg] Re: Problems monitoring a Linux box

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Tue Mar 7 08:03:35 MET 2000

At 15:12 -0800 3/6/00, Nate Carlson wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to monitor a Linux box, running kernel 2.2.14 and
>ucd-snmp-3.6.1. cfgmaker spit out a valid configuration file, and
>everything seems to work all right, except all the traffic that mrtg
>reports seems to be around 1/10 of the real traffic going through the
>link. (eg, if i sustain a transfer at 40k/s for 10 minutes, mrtg will
>graph it at ~4k/s).. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this before
>I dig in further? Thanks!

You didn't specify how often your run mrtg, but it is an averaging
algorithm.  If the sample period is longer that the test time, the number
of bytes transferred will be divided by the time and thus smaller.  One
thing to check is to check the traffic numbers recorded by mrtg in the log
file before and after the transfer test and make sure it sees the right
number of bytes transferred.

-- Doug