[mrtg] Re: Problems monitoring a Linux box

Niels Baggesen Niels.Baggesen at uni-c.dk
Tue Mar 7 08:58:19 MET 2000

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 17:12:15 -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> I am trying to monitor a Linux box, running kernel 2.2.14 and
> ucd-snmp-3.6.1. cfgmaker spit out a valid configuration file, and
> everything seems to work all right, except all the traffic that mrtg
> reports seems to be around 1/10 of the real traffic going through the
> link. (eg, if i sustain a transfer at 40k/s for 10 minutes, mrtg will
> graph it at ~4k/s).. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this before
> I dig in further? Thanks!

ucd-snmp-3 does not support the octet counters in the network statistics
of Linux 2.2, but still uses the old hack of octets=308*packets.

Upgrade to ucd-snmp-4.1

/Niels

--
Niels Baggesen,  UNI-C,  Olof Palmes Alle 38,  DK-8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Email: Niels.Baggesen at uni-c.dk - Tel: +45 8937 6669 - Fax: +45 8937 6677