[mrtg] Graphs I and Out mix-up

Cyber World Internet Services alvins at cwiservices.com
Fri Mar 10 11:20:14 MET 2000

I am using mrtg to monitor my traffic, and I have a unique problem. I know the graphs are created by reading the .log files. The problem is my .log files are being created with the data backwards

Basically it is doing the Out first and then the In for the serial log files.

See the example below:

952666501 1790477543 2948477650
In Out In Out
952666501 11317 117408 11317 117408
952666421 13857 107162 13860 121014
952666200 14055 122104 14523 122811
952665900 14523 122811 14523 122811

I labled them to show you. I know that the traffic for the in is the actual traffic listed under Out.

It gets even stranger.

The Ethernet Log files are perfectly correct see below:

952666501 517171368 2112815722
In Out In Out
952666501 245198 33601 245198 33601
952666421 204474 31069 227262 33327
952666200 231360 35418 234017 36775

This is the total traffic on the router. The router has one ethernet and two Serials. The serial log files are the ones I am having trouble with. Do you know what the problem could be?
I also looked at the rateup.exe file and its lines do not correspond with the log file lines. Like it has the out as being the first line, and the log files have the out as being the first line and I guess that is why my graphs are all reversed.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alvin Slocombe
alvins at cwiservices.com