[mrtg] Re: baseline info on a Cisco router

David Gabler dgabler at americomusa.net
Sat Mar 11 00:08:19 MET 2000

I keep track of
            Queue Drops
            Collisions (Ethernet)
            Collisions (Serial)
            Restarts & Resets
            Ignored Input
            Packets In and Out
            BPS (Ethernet) In and Out
            BPS (Serial)
            Ethernet 0/0
        Serial 0/0
        CPU load
        Free Mem
        NVRAM used

Not that all of this is needed but you never know when it will come in handy.
I look at these graphs about once a week to look for anything suspicious.

With collisions, Ethernet is collision based so some or a smaller amount is not
bad but when your collisions get rather high you know it is time to
segment your network.

The others I dont know how to really interpret but I look to see if there is
something not "making sense" and then go from there.

Hope this helps.

Oh I would get the book titled "Cisco Management Information Base (MIB) User
Quick Reference"  from cisco.  If you have a support contract you can get this
for free.

David