[mrtg] baseline info on a Cisco router

Greg Tillman gtillman at maine.edu
Fri Mar 10 23:53:33 MET 2000

This question is slightly off-topic, for which I apologize, but I haven't
gotten much help at all from Cisco, or from the Cisco news group, and I
haven't found anything in the mailing list archive either.

I'm using MRTG to graph traffic rates and CPU usage on our one router, a
Cisco 3600.  What else on the router should I be graphing or keeping an eye
on?  OIDs welcome, but mostly I'm just wondering what are the potential
bottlenecks or problem areas that other people keep an eye on.  For ex, I
graph free processor memory, but should I also worry about free I/O memory?
 How about free buffers?  Queue sizes?  Collisions?

All comments and suggestions welcome, including pointers to documentation I
should have read and didn't.  Thanks.

- greg tillman
u. maine farmington