[mrtg] Re: MRTG and SUN snmpd

Richard van Drimmelen richard at sara.nl
Mon Mar 13 13:28:26 MET 2000

Thanks for the reply.

alex at ergens.op.Het.Net wrote:

> Richard van Drimmelen wrote:
> >
> > In the configuration file of MRTG there is a format:
> >
> > Target[xxx]: 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9:public at myrouter
>
> Is there?  IIRC it is more like "1.2.3.4.5.6&1.2.3.4.5.6:public at myrouter"
>
> > Is it possible, with this format, to query the snpmd on a Solaris
> > machine ?
>
> After the correction: sure.

Yep you're right. Sorry for the misspelling.

> > If yes: What information can be retreived using this syntax ?
>
> anything that you make available on the sun box, as long as it is a
> numeric value.

Ok. Maybe this is not the place to ask, but: How can I make the
information I want available through snmp ? Suppose I want to retrieve
information about disk usage of a particular file system of a particular
machine ?

> > Where can I find the MIB strings needed to retrieve the information ?
>
> Most likely in the documentation, on the ftp and/or website from sun,
> other places on the web.  Use your favorite search engine.

Browsed through sunsolve and gave them a call: not the information I was
hoping for (I'd like to have a one to one mapping: MIB string <->
"information I want").

regards,
Richard van Drimmelen                       | email: richard at sara.nl
Facility Management SARA                    | phone: +31 20 5928028
Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam | fax:   +31 20 6683167