[mrtg] my rateup compiles but doesn't work

Michael_Galoppo at haygroup.com Michael_Galoppo at haygroup.com
Thu Mar 16 23:32:55 MET 2000

i am running mrtg v2.8.11on a windows nt box.  all runs well with the
pre-compiled rateup.exe.  i have since compiled rateup on my own without errors
(used djgpp (v2.03) to compile libz (v1.1.3), libpng (v1.0.5) and libgd
(v1.7.3), all without errors).  i made no changes to rateup.c.  this is merely a
dry run to be sure i can re-compile it when i want to.  however, when i swap my
freshly compiled rateup.exe in for the pre-compiled rateup.exe, it stops
updating the log files. if i delete the logfiles, it does not create new ones.
not even after a (it's a microsoft thing) reboot.

there are no error messages.  the web page containing my graphs claims to
continue being updated as normal at 5-minute intervals.  if i reboot, it still
claims to be updated at 5-minute intervals, but the logfiles (and therefore the
graphs) still don't change.  when i swap the old rateup.exe back in, everything
starts working again, more or less right away, even without a reboot.

note:  the rateup.exe that i compiled is about 400kB in size, whereas the old
one is about 106kB.

does anyone have an idea as to what's wrong or what i might try next?
thanks...mike