[mrtg] Re: How do I graph @ one minute intervals instead of 5 minute.

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Thu Mar 23 19:19:44 MET 2000

At 12:58 PM -0500 3/23/00, William Schwartz wrote:

>Well, I'm NOT yet doing this collection. But I _thought_ that MRTG
>calculated the averages etc for 5 minute intervals and not shorter periods.
>so: when the data is represented on the graph, wont it be seem like 5 times
>less data since it will be polling the "if" statistics more often making
>them look smaller? (because it takes the increase difference between the
>last value captured and the current value and computes that based on the
>if-speed to get load)
>
>Or am I misunderstanding how the calculations work with MRTG?

I think MRTG won't notice the difference or really care.  From my
understanding MRTG bases its calculation on the timestamp.  If you
have 5 timestamps 1 minute apart it would still figure the 5 minute
average correctly.  At least that's what I've seen in practice and
think that's how it works.

HTH
   Justin

Justin Shore       K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>

*Internet2 Users*
<ftp://quest.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>