[mrtg] Re: How do I graph @ one minute intervals instead of 5 minute.

William Schwartz WSchwartz at apz-applied.com
Thu Mar 23 18:58:21 MET 2000

> > The topic really says it all. There are some interfaces that do not
gather
> > the appropriate data when I poll them every 5 minutes, so I need to grab
> > that information every minute. How do I modify a "normal" .cfg  file to
do
> > that? I know I can tell my chron job to run every minute, but wont that
> > screw up the calculation? Do I need to mulitply the totals by 5 or
> > something?

> So, IMHO there should not be a problem for MRTG.  Perhaps your server
> cannot handle the load; that isn't an MRTG problem.

Well, I'm NOT yet doing this collection. But I _thought_ that MRTG
calculated the averages etc for 5 minute intervals and not shorter periods.
so: when the data is represented on the graph, wont it be seem like 5 times
less data since it will be polling the "if" statistics more often making
them look smaller? (because it takes the increase difference between the
last value captured and the current value and computes that based on the
if-speed to get load)

Or am I misunderstanding how the calculations work with MRTG?

Thanks
will