[mrtg] Re: log files not logging

Martin Ansdell-Smith mas at ansdell.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 09:56:28 MEST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 Chuck.Curto at tmcaz.com wrote:

> I used Getif to find the oid's I wanted to use in my config file to monitor a
> Novell 4.1 server.
>
> I ran the config file manually and everything worked fine. When I ran the
> config file several more times I noticed I wasn't getting any data in my
> graphs.
>
> I looked into the log files and found the time stamp was changing every time I
> ran the config file but the statistics where only on the first line. I
> continued to run the config file manually and the time stamp kept changing but
> the statistics wouldn't budge from the top line. Because of this my graphs
> have no data.
>
> Any ideas?

One possible cause is that you are monitoring something that is changing
slowly. By default, the collected value is subtracted from the previous
collected value and divided by 300. If this is less than 1 then the value
of 0 is stored for the interval. per minute and per hour options are
available to deal with this. If you don't want the previous value
subtracting, have a look at the absolute keyword. If you don't want the
collected value averaging (e.g. MB of RAM or % utilization), have a look
at the gauge option.

--
Martin Ansdell-Smith
Network Analyst			http://www.ansdell.demon.co.uk/