[mrtg] Re: How much is too much?

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Fri Mar 31 03:14:34 MEST 2000

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 01:40:32PM -0500, Sottile, Steve wrote:
> My .cfg file has grown to 26 pages of text and almost 1500 lines. I'm
> running on a Pentium NT 550mhz.
> I'm just wondering if I'm overloading my collector.

I don't think so. My config files are about 5300 lines
altogether, comprising 314 targets. This is all running on a
143MHz Ultra-1 that is doing a lot of other stuff as well.

You know you've overloaded your box when you get error messages from mrtg
saying that other mrtg instances are still hanging around.

If the length of the config file is worrying you, consider
replacing repetitive lines (such us Options or Unscaled
directives) with a single default line (for target [_]). When
this feature first appeared it helped me trimming down my config
files considerably.

> Is there a more efficient way to collect?

You could split your config file and run separate mrtg instances
for them, staggered over the 5 minute interval. By that you can
spread out the load peak you may have every five minutes.

Hope this helps
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <kluge at fujitsu.com.au>