[mrtg] Re: A couple of questions

JohnMonahan at libertydiversified.com JohnMonahan at libertydiversified.com
Wed May 10 17:23:06 MEST 2000

#1 might work if you use the tools provided with SNMP4NT and use the
performance counter MIBs to monitor both nics.  You could use one target IP
address to monitor multiple nics in one machine, the different nics would
be different instances in perfmon.  The one problem (if it works) is that
the perfmon counters report values in bytes/sec already so you would have
to use the gauge option and the values wouldn't be averaged over the
period.

I do have the perfmon MIBs installed on a couple NT servers with multiple
NICs and I can see all the other nic counters with GetIF (using one target
IP), but I'm not collecting the info on the other nics with MRTG.

John Monahan
Network Administrator
Liberty Diversified Industries
(763) 536-6677

                    cpt2 at daimlerchrys
                    ler.com                  To:     JOHN.LINKOWSKY at firmenich.com
                    Sent by:                 cc:     mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
                    mrtg-bounce at list.        Subject:     [mrtg] Re: A couple of questions
                    ee.ethz.ch

                    05/09/2000 04:33
                    PM

John,
1.  As far as I know you can't, since the monitoring is dependent on the
IP, so you would get statistics for both.  Unless the nics have some add on
software for this, like many 3com ones do.
2. Yes you can, this applies to physical and partitions.

Christian

1.  Is there and easy way to monitor two seperate NIC's in one NT server in
one
config file?   These NIC's have one common IP address.

2.  If there is more than one drive on an NT server (ie. C: drive and D:
drive),
can I monitor them seperately?

I checked the FAQ, and didn't find anything explaining how to do this.  By
the
way, I am running MRTG on Windows NT Server 4.0.

Thank you for your help.

John Linkowsky
john.linkowksky at firmenich.com