[mrtg] Re: MRTG+RRDtool+14all.cgi

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Mon May 15 11:45:26 MEST 2000

In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0005140424450.57457-101000 at epsilon.lucida.qc.ca>,
	matt at ARPA.MAIL.NET (Matt Heckaman) writes:
> I'm having a problem while trying to move my normal mrtg over to mrtg /
> rrdtool / 14all.cgi due to the saved resources. I'm using mrtg version
> 2.8.12 and rrdtool 1.0.13 on FreeBSD 3.4-stable.

[There would be a new version of 14all.cgi on its website:
     http://www.uni-ulm.de/~rbawidam/mrtg-rrd/   ]

> I took all of my MRTG log files that go back to Feb, ran them through
> log2rrd.pl to create the rrd files, changed my mrtg.cfg to add the line:
> UseRRDTool: Yes, then proceeded to run mrtg which appeared to run fine.

log2rrd.pl has one drawback: it does not set the correct data source
type (because it does not read the config file where this information
is). Your rrd files have the data source types "GAUGE" which was correct
while converting the log file to rrd files but is wrong for traffic
counters. Do

      rrdtool tune port01.rrd -d ds0:COUNTER -d ds1:COUNTER

to correct the files. See rrdcreate(1) for info about data source types
(mrtg options gauge/absolute).

A future mrtg will do this for you but I this code is not written yet ;-)

Rainer
Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de