[mrtg] Re: Alternatives to ifDescr

Kruepke lister at kruepke.com
Wed May 31 17:14:21 MEST 2000

Vijay,

You may or may not have have considered this already, so if you have, forgive me...

My preference when doing MRTG config files is to use cfgmaker to get the initial information about the router (or other device) and to make sure that SNMP is working to that device.  Then I manually edit the output of cfgmaker to make it more useful to me.  The PageTop option in the config file allows you to specify exactly the text that should appear at the top of the page (in HTML).  Then you can do anything you want.  In addition, I like to use options like Directory that do not normally appear in cfgmaker output.

Obviously this does not help if you have a LOT of devices or if your problem is not being able to differentiate between the ports/interfaces in the cfgmaker output.  If you are at all Perl-savvy, you can search cfgmaker for the part when it outputs "PageTop" and work from there.

Good luck,
Keith