[mrtg] Re: i'm confused

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Fri Nov 3 06:30:06 MET 2000

>of my router.  it's a 1.5Mbps/384Kbps ADSL modem/bridge hooked up to the
>external interface of my router (SUN SPARCstation 5) and i am able
>to saturate
>the downstream dsl link (1200-1500kbps is very common) but MRTG
>shows that this
>interface has maxed out at 1027.6kbps and won't show it as having gone any
>higher.  am i just incredably unlucky and the times when mrtg asks snmp for
>info it just happens that it isn't doing anything faster than
>1027.6kbps, or
>is something funny going on.

Check out
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html#maxbytes and
the part where it talks about ignoring values above the MaxBytes. Then maybe
take a look at
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html#absmax to see
if you need that option.

I have a 128K frame relay link that is burstable to T1. So even though
	MaxBytes[yadayada]: 16000
there is an
	AbsMax[yadayada]: 192000
to allow it to show bursts over this "max" value.

Another possiblity is overhead. I have a "1.1Mb DSL" link that really only
passes IP traffic at up to 1.0Mb due to the baggage associated with ATM.

../C