[mrtg] Re: monitoring traffic in & out of Linux box

tony bourke tony at vegan.net
Sun Nov 5 04:29:20 MET 2000

Hello Ragnar,

I wanted to double check, so I set up a little test.  I ran a continuous
FTP from one machine to another:

gcc-2.95.2-sol8-sparc-local:        65147904 bytes    2.78 MB/s
gcc-2.95.2-sol8-sparc-local:        65147904 bytes    3.13 MB/s
gcc-2.95.2-sol8-sparc-local:        65147904 bytes    2.81 MB/s

I ran MRTG on the Linux machine and the Cisco switch the Linux machine was
connected to.

Switch:

973396800 3201972 64646 3205835 64724
973396500 3113714 62883 3116689 62938
973396200 3019427 61154 3159151 62925
973395900 3159151 62937 3159151 63888

Linux:

973396800 3194833 54656 3198528 54720
973396500 3095909 52969 3097773 52997
973396200 3018904 51806 3164114 53029
973395900 3164114 53036 3164114 54201

There were some minor differences all within 1% (if I did my math right),
which could be chocked up to statistical error, but it appears the Linux
results can be trusted.  This was a 2.2 Kernel, but I believe the others
were ok too (I used MRTG on linux machines 2 years ago, never noticed a
problem).

Tony

Tony Bourke				tony at vegan.net