[mrtg] Re: Update: monitoring traffic in & out of Linux box

Leigh Orf orf at mailbag.com
Mon Nov 6 01:05:15 MET 2000

tony bourke wrote:

|   what kernel are you using?

2.2.16

|   and have you tried just using cfgmaker on the Linux box instead of using
|   a config template?  Cfgmaker has always wworked for me in a Linux box.

That's what I did. I tweaked /etc/snmpd.conf and created the community
called orp. I'm not clear as to what a lot of this stuff means below but
it seemed to do the trick. The section of snmpd.conf I tweaked:

#====================================================

# Here is a commented out example configuration that allows less
# restrictive access.

# YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE "COMMUNITY" TOKEN BELOW TO A NEW KEYWORD ONLY
# KNOWN AT YOUR SITE.  YOU *MUST* CHANGE THE NETWORK TOKEN BELOW TO
# SOMETHING REFLECTING YOUR LOCAL NETWORK ADDRESS SPACE.

##       sec.name  source          community
com2sec local     localhost          orp

##     group.name sec.model  sec.name
group MyRWGroup  v1        local
group MyROGroup  v1        mynetwork
view all    included  .1                               80

##                context sec.model sec.level prefix read   write  notif
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact      all    none   none
access MyRWGroup ""      any       noauth    exact      all    all    all

#====================================================

Then I started up snmpd, ran cfgmaker orp at localhost, and it gave me
this (w/out commented out loopback device):

Target[dryas.atms.unca.edu]: 2:orp at localhost
MaxBytes[dryas.atms.unca.edu]: 1250000
Title[dryas.atms.unca.edu]: dryas.atms.unca.edu (dryas.atms.unca.edu): eth0
PageTop[dryas.atms.unca.edu]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for eth0
 </H1>
 <TABLE>
   <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>dryas.atms.unca.edu in the mountains of the moon</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Maintainer:</TD><TD>Leigh Orf <orf at mailbag.com></TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Interface:</TD><TD>eth0 (2)</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>IP:</TD><TD>dryas.atms.unca.edu (152.18.35.216)</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>
       <TD>1250.0 kBytes/s (ethernetCsmacd)</TD></TR>
  </TABLE>

The above is what I run mrtg on.

Also, when I run

snmpwalk -v 1 localhost orp

on the localhost (which is the linux box dryas.atms.unca.edu) a whole
bunch of stuff scrolls by with all sorts of neat information. I assume
this information is dictated by the MIB files in /usr/share/snmp/mibs ?

So I don't know if my problem is with snmpd.conf or what. This snmp
stuff is confusing to me!

Leigh