[mrtg] Tracking bandwidth used for period of time (a month)

Me danellis at rushmore.com
Fri Nov 10 16:13:35 MET 2000

Management has asked me to implement bandwidth useage tracking for one of our
larger customers. We want to track if this customer has used over 50Gb of
bandwidth per month (pricing reasons).  I would like to use something I have in
place already (namely, mrtg).
I have come up with a couple possible solutions using mrtg.

1.	Erase the mrtg logs every month and start over.  Set the .cfg file to use
Options[route]: gauge.
2.	Devise my own little program to monitor the traffic from the router using
snmp and use my data files to report back to mrtg what it should graph?

Some questions, I am sure people have done this before.  What would be the best
solution?  I am sure the first item is the best solution.  Also, what happens
if/when the snmp variable for octets sent rolls over?  Am I going to have to
handle this situation with any solution?

Is this a job for a different styled program?

Any comments or solutions would be greatly appreciate.

Dan Ellis