[mrtg] Re: Problems with Cisco CA5509 and VLAN

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Wed Nov 15 11:19:01 MET 2000

L Arnts wrote:

> I'm trying to monitor a Cisco 5509 Catalyst in our network.
> With the cfgmaker i made a config file. In the config file are entry's
> for VLAN's wich we use in our network.
> MRTG doesn't make a graph for these VLAN entry's. There are no error's
> and memory/cpu and port graphics work great.

Cisco switches does not count octets for VLAN's. If you have an RSM-
module in the switch you can count the VLAN-counters on that; they
works fine as long as you don't use layer 3 switching (I don't think
the Cat5k RSM supports that anyway). Otherwise you will have to sum
up every port in each VLAN (or kidnap the daughter of a Cisco CEO
and state your demands...).

Please tell me if you find an easier way!

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway