[mrtg] Re: PNG/Netscape

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Wed Nov 15 23:20:23 MET 2000

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 12:10:59PM -0800, Nick Ellson wrote:

> Is there any way to get the newer 2.9.4 MRTG to generate GIF's again?

Yes.  Call Unisys legal department and ask them to stop
sending threats of litigation to anyone using LZW compression
in their products (like GIF files).

> The PNG files will not display, they try to download or just break using
> Netscape 4.75, and there is no way for me to force a browser change or
> upgrade to all the folks I need to get this working for.

Really?  I'm running NS 4.76 here and I've always been able to
display PNG files.   Fire up Netscape and go to:
  Preferences -> Navigator -> Applications
Scroll down through the mess of extensions until you get to PNG.
Mine says, "image/png,  Handled by plugin".
Now, go to the Help pull down menu and select "About plug-ins".
Oh swell.  Mine shows that the PNG files are supported by the
Quicktime 4.1.2 plugin.

> (After blowing away the old image directories and using IE 5.5 I see that
> the PNG's are working, but I work for the Bureau of Land Management which
> has Netscape and the Bureau standard browser, and I would loose an upgrade
> battle).

Well, I don't think they would get too irate if you installed
a fairly standard plugin.  Windoze 98SE comes with Quicktime 32
version 2.1.2 which may (or may not) have PNG support.  Hard to
tell here as I've installed QT 4.1.2.

Just to make life interesting, I checked 2 other machines in the
office with Netscape 4.72 and 4.76 respectively and found that
one has PNG support supplied by "PhotoEd", and the other has PNG
support by "ImageView".  As far as I can tell, NS PNG support
must come from some kind of external application or NS plugin.

If you search:
   http://cgi.netscape.com/plugins/search_pi.html
for a .png plugin, all it shows is Quicktime and something called
TruDef.

> What can I do? :(

Install some paint program or viewer that supports PNG.
Find some DOS command line graphics converter program
and convert all the PNG's to GIF's every 5 minutes.
I used to have such a converter but naturally can't find
it when I need it.

--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060
# 831.336.2558 voice   831.426.1240 fax   831.421.6491 digital_pager