[mrtg] ntop

Dan Colquhoun dcolquho at opentext.com
Wed Nov 22 20:30:39 MET 2000

I'd just like to pop back in here and mention ntop which was suggested to me
for use by an mrtg list member over a month back.  Since then I've been
using it daily to monitor and diagnose network troubles in several of our
offices around the world (and have dropped off the mrtg list).  What a
wonderful utility!  Since it's use we've cut frame traffic by 60% in some
locations and discovered topology issues in others.  Without it we would
have been spending money in the wrong area (link to WAN) as opposed to the
core LAN which was the issue.

For a free diagnosis and network troubleshooting tool it can't be beat.
It's free, open sourced, extensable thru perl plugins, and actively
developed.  Oh, and it tracks Napster users too ;)  So swing on over to
www.ntop.org and get the info on how to grab and build the latest CVS
version.

Sorry for the non-mrtg add, but it's a util that we can't live without now.

---
Dan Colquhoun
Co-Op Systems Administrator
Open Text Inc.