[mrtg] Re: Stopping the Pop-up Windows in NT ?

Stieers, Ken KStieers at DainRauscher.com
Mon Nov 27 12:40:53 MET 2000

If its running on NT, and its running logged in, you will get new processes
starting on the desktop.  You CAN get those to start minimized though, so
they just start as buttons on the task bar, and then disappear.

I'm not sure how you're kicking off your MRTG run, but here's how several
people on the list do it:

Create a batch file called MRTGKICK.BAT, and get something to run that every
5 min.  In my case I use a bat called MRTGRUN.BAT that looks like this:

:start
call mrtgkick
time /t
sleep 300
goto start

My MRTGKICK looks like this:

start "Corphub" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg c:\mrtg\cfg\corphub.cfg
sleep 2
start "MPLEX2" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg c:\mrtg\cfg\mplex2.cfg
sleep 2
start "MPEXHUB1" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg c:\mrtg\cfg\mpexhub1.cfg
sleep 2
start "MPEXHUB3" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg c:\mrtg\cfg\mpexhub3.cfg
sleep 2
start "MPEXHUB4" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg c:\mrtg\cfg\mpexhub4.cfg
sleep 2
start "MPEXHUB5" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg c:\mrtg\cfg\mpexhub5.cfg
sleep 2
start "MENLOPARK01" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg
c:\mrtg\cfg\menlopark01.cfg
sleep 2
start "Assentor" /min cmd /c perl c:\mrtg\run\mrtg c:\mrtg\cfg\assentor.cfg

The START command starts a process (in this case CMD /C) that is minimized
(/min) and has a title of whatever is in the quotes.  This title is what
will show up on the title bar.  The CMD /C says "run this command and then
terminate".  That way the CMD windows actually die.  You can get more
details on this by typeing "HELP CMD" and "HELP START" at the command line
of an NT machine.

HTH,

Ken