[mrtg] mrtg Newbie question

Steve Lewis nepolon at systray.com
Tue Nov 28 06:15:05 MET 2000

I am working in a FreeBSD world.  I don't have access to true Cisco
routers, instead I use FreeBSD 4.0+ with IPFW from behind Cisco 675 DSL
modems. I am not doing any traffic shaping with Dummynet yet, but would
like to investigate this (I don't expect to find much help here for that
matter however).

I have a web server behind my DSL and firewall which is being parked there
on behalf of someone else and I want to be able to say I know what is
happening with bandwidth issues WRT that box.

I would like to configure some traffic monitoring tools to monitor my
bandwidth usage, etc.  I also have to point out that I know very little
about SNMP.

Can I use mrtg?
If so, what might the model look like? (mrtg using SNMP to gather data
from the Cisco 675, using some other method of collecting data from IPFW?)

--Steve