[mrtg] Re: Bytes X Bits in Y axis

Daniel R . Kilbourne drk at voyager.net
Sun Oct 1 15:46:46 MEST 2000

<RANT>

Agreed, it certainly did take less keystrokes. But what about next time?

I don't know if it is just that too many Windows admins use mrtg and are used
to having the programs contain a help area or what, but it is standard practice
with anything linux/unix/open source to also distribute a README file. The
purpose of this file is to either explain the program included or to point
you to where you can get more info on it, whether it is in the source code or
on the web.

Now, I could have easily answered this question the way you did, which would
have helped Gustavo this time, but next time he had a simple question he would
send another mail to the list. What I meant to do was point him to where he
can find the answer himself. Not to be a jerk. Not to yell at someone. Simply
to save him time in the future (rather that waiting the few days this list
can take sometimes, he could immediately find the answer) and to point him
to the great help that is included with mrtg.

If I offended anyone - too bad. RTFM is a basic concept that will ony help you.

</RANT>

___
Dan

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 01:39:55PM -0500, Murphy, John spake:

> Options[Target]: bits
>
> hmm, took fewer keystrokes to just answer the question.. what a concept...

Daniel R. Kilbourne
daniel.kilbourne at voyager.net