[mrtg] Re: Understanding frame relay stats

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Oct 2 02:21:40 MEST 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Bruce Horkings wrote:

> Hi All,
> 	I have just set up mrtg to monitor some cisco routers and have a
> question about monitoring Frame Relay. If I have a serial interface with 3
> sub interfaces. I would like to see the total traffic on the frame relay
> link vs the total cir (ie = s0/0.1 + s0/0.2 + s0/0.3). Is this done by just
> looking at S0 and using ABSMAX and MAX to place the CIR into the equation or
> do I add the three sub interfaces together. I have done both of these and
> get different results so I'm unsure of which one to use?? Any help would be
> appreciated

Just create one graph for the physical interface and one for each
subinterface.  The physical will represent aggregate traffic plus the
LMI traffic (DLCI 0 or 1023) which should be minimal.

CIR isn't really part of the equation, as it's a guaranteed minimum
rate reserved for you by the carrier.  Traffic can and often does exceed
CIR.  The physical port speed of the remote end should be your MAX for
each subinterface.

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323