[mrtg] Re: List abuse

J Bacher jb at jbacher.com
Tue Oct 3 03:51:44 MEST 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Patrick Bartkus wrote:

> I, for one, would NOT be for moderation. The abuses have been, in the month
<snip>
> Let's also admit [probably stepping on toes here] the documentation isn't
> the easiest thing to use. Yes, the information needed is written, somewhere;
> I have found it hard to find what I was needing. It took work to find. A lot
> of people find it easier to post here than dig to find the answer. Someone
> is usually willing to provide a gentle quick hint and pointer to the
> appropriate document / web site. That has been all I have needed.

I've been a moderator before and it can be a real pain -- both to the
people responsible for moderating and the individual posters.

I also note that some of the problem lies not in the people failing to
read the documentation but in failing to understand what has been written.

I have two suggestions:

1) some of the individuals that have benefited from Tobi's contribution
work together to create an easy-to-read, lengthy document that includes
many configuration examples.

2) each new subscriber get an automated e-mail with all of the helpful
information described above along with the AUP upon successful subscribe
to the list.